Monday, June 12, 2023

"I Am Marco Polo's Brother" - short story

My name is Giuseppe Polo, son of Niccolò and Nicole Anna, born in the year of our Lord 1251 in the magnificent city of Venice. Magnificent, I say, not only because of my city's Gothic-style palaces and narrow canals winding through its districts like so many cobblestoned streets, but also because of the power and influence of the Republic of Venice. Our republic is prosperous, ruling many territories on the shores of the Aegean Sea and beyond.

I was but a boy of three, still weaning from my mother, when my illustrious father and uncle Maffeo set forth as traveling merchants on a mission to the East. They sought spices and silks, precious gems, and gold and silver utensils, anything that would benefit our family business, but I believe the true intention of their journey was something other than material wealth.

Read the rest of the story on Litro Magazine USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment