Saturday, February 19, 2022

Hiking in Israel: Dead Sea Sinkholes

 
A sinkhole is, according to Wikipedia, a “depression or hole in the ground caused by some form of collapse of the surface layer”. The Dead Sea shores are littered with them due to the porous ground left by the shrinking sea.

I joined a group of hikers exploring the “land of sinkholes,’ which was stunningly beautiful, but at the same time tragically sad. This most amazing place, the lowest in the world, is changing drastically and future generations will never see it like it is today.

The hike was from Metzukei Dragot to Tzomet Avnot on the northwestern Dead Sea shores. My health app measured 15.7 km. There were 20 people in the group and the weather was perfect. Although it was basically on level ground for most of the way, at some points it was quite challenging. We had to jump over wide gullies with flowing water, something we all successfully managed without mishap.

At one point we needed to cross a wide canyon but the opposite bank was too steep. We went down to cross at the sea itself. I took off my hiking boots and socks and carefully waded across the channel. My feet were nearly sucked into the ground and I almost lost my balance, which would not have been pleasant because I had my phone in my pocket and my boots were being held overhead.


The ground everywhere was very porous, and you would sink into it with each step. In one case, I sunk in to my knee. In several places we were walking on dead reeds, and you couldn't see that there were holes underneath. My friend fell in three or four times, and I saw one of the hikers fall in almost to his neck.


In short, visiting the sinkholes along the Dead Sea shore is not a very safe thing to do! Although I knew this to be the case beforehand, I only saw the sign saying entrance to the area was forbidden/dangerous at the end of the day.


To understand how sinkholes form, and to see the damage they have caused on the Dead Sea shores, see this: The disappearing Dead Sea – ABC News (Australia)


Related Stories:

The Dead Sea in Winter

Hiking in Israel: Overlooking Jericho

Hiking in Israel - the Chinese Hole


4 comments:

  1. Hi! How did you find the people hiking this trail? I'm interested in doing something like this but wouldn't want to do it alone. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely don't do it alone! I found a small group by word-of-mouth with an experienced guide.

      Delete
  2. Sure, any idea where I could find such a guide?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many private guides that offer their services - sorry but I don't have any specific recommendations.

      Delete