Monday, March 8, 2021

Running for Charity

I participated in a charity race last week, raising funds for Multiple Sclerosis care and research at Hadassah Hospital. The 10-kilometer run was at Park Adulam and I had a good result - 1:00:55, a pace of 06:05 per kilometer.

The race was a private event, organized by Jay's Athletes, a sports club for youth groups in Beit Shemesh. Most of the participants in the races (half marathon, 10 kilometers, 5 kilometers, and 2 kilometers) were school children. In the 10 kilometer event, I competed against teenagers! Still, my result placed me in 30th place out of 48 participants.

I hadn't competed in a race since the Jerusalem Marathon two years ago, Last month I ran in the digital version of the Tel Aviv Marathon, but I ran it alone, on Neve Ilan.

When you run with others, there is always someone just ahead of you, making you want to catch up, or at least keep pace with them. Hearing footsteps behind you also encourages you to run faster.

It was nice running in the countryside near Park Adulam, the morning cool and the air particularly fresh after some rainy days. There was one stretch of the 10 kilometer route that was, for me, a steep ascent. I ended up walking a bit, but I more than made up for this by running fast on the downhill and level parts of the course. In fact, my pace surprised me and I was quite pleased with my results.

I am happy that I participated in the race, and that I helped raise funds for a good cause. Now as my body recuperates from the physical efforts of the run, I am looking for my next challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment