Monday, July 20, 2020

Why I Run


I get up every morning at 5 am. Am I crazy? Although I’ve always been an early morning person, these days I am working from home and can get up whenever I want. Yet here I am, getting out of bed before the sun rises in the sky.

And the reason I get up so early is so that I can run.

Last year, I ran the 10-kilometer race in the Tel Aviv and Jerusalem Marathons. I am not an athlete at all, nor a professional runner, but I ran those races.

At the time, daily visits to the gym and running, whether indoors on a treadmill or outdoors on weekends, were part of my routine. Unfortunately, a number of physical setbacks as well as the rising cost of gym membership threw me off course. It's only in recent weeks that I’ve begun running again.

So, why do I run? Here are a few of the reasons:

** When I run, I have quality me-time. Sometimes I need a break from work and even from family responsibilities. While running, I am totally on my own. Disconnected from others, connected to myself. The break is temporary, but it is truly appreciated.

** When I run, I achieve an elevated, stress-free state. No worries, no troubles. The pounding of my feet on the pavement clears my head.


** When I run, I have the opportunity to do some quality thinking. I write articles and plan stories in my head. I’ve even worked on my novels while running.

** When I run, I get physical exercise. Amazingly, I enjoy the aches and pains after a good run. But an added benefit of running is mental wellbeing. It’s a win-win situation.

** When I run, I’m not competing against anybody except myself. I am not striving to beat anyone to the finish line.

** When I run, I compare my achievements from one kilometer to the next. Hearing my pace announced as I run encourages me to run faster.


** When I run, I compare my achievements from one day to the next. I strive to run faster, farther. And if it’s not faster or farther, it doesn’t really matter. It’s the running that counts.

** When I run, I enjoy the early morning quiet. There is no one else around, no traffic on the road. I have my route to myself. (Except for the occasional boars that run across my path).

** When I run, I listen to music. Not only to playlists of my favorite artists. Spotify has introduced me to some very talented musicians and bands.

** When I run, I can stop at any time. There’s no one checking how long I’ve been running, or how far I’ve run.


** When I run, I come up with blog articles like this one.

Why do I run? It’s not for aesthetic reasons nor to stay in shape. It’s because I enjoy it.

Related articles:

Boar Meet

Tel Aviv Marathon Man: I Run the 10 Kilometer Race

Jerusalem Is Much Harder to Run than Tel Aviv

I Ran in the Jerusalem Marathon!

1 comment: