Friday, January 24, 2014

Why I Could Never Write Fantasy

The green-winged ogre landed on my window sill, on the top floor of Druddigon Castle in the underground land known among the peasants simply as Moligan. I fought off the dragon's harsh bad breath to rise from my bed, drew my trusty dagger from its pouch, and went to face the ogre before it could capture the golden chalice that I had kept under my pillow through six hours of restless sleep.

Not exactly the most appealing prose, right? Well, that's because I just can't write fantasy. Or speculative fiction or science fiction for that matter. In my writing I am incapable of placing characters in strange, far-off worlds, where the culture and religion and history is so much different than our own.

Or can I?

Read the rest of my guest post on Alison Strachan's blog = Writing My Truth.

1 comment:

  1. Alas, Ellis, I am a fantasy writer. But I love a good travel story, and I love history, so your book is probably right up my alley.

    We could have a debate on what consitutes 'speculative fiction'. Isn't all fiction speculative? Doesn't it all start, when it's a seed in the author's mind, with 'what if'? It matters not, methinks (there, you can see I write fantasy!) whether we start with a medieval professor, a new kid at the kibbutz, or a princess in a tower - it's all a pack of lies when all's said and done. Lies with a veneer of truth, if we've done our research properly, and done properly, it reads like truth - but the real truth in all fiction surely comes from what the reader learns about the human condition. Fiction, I believe, is made up of lies that point to the truth. And if truth be told, so is much non-fiction, although it doesn't point to the truth nearly as well as good fiction!

    BTW, feel free to friend me on Facebook. I don't actually use Twitter much.

    ReplyDelete