Saturday, August 17, 2013

Let Fiction Be Your Passport to the World

I recently finished reading The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker, an inspirational love story set in Burma. Admittedly, I don't usually read love stories, and I'm not too keen on inspirational novels either. What fascinated me most about the book was its setting. Burma! Burma - a land of impoverished villages, superstitions, and Eastern values. I really know nothing at all about Burma, yet I was swept away by this novel's descriptions of the country and its people.

This is what I enjoy most about reading. Whenever I pick up a book set in an unusual location I find myself traveling there in my mind. I dive into the customs, history, and cuisine of a place that I imagine based on the narrative and the way the characters interact in that setting. Reading a good book is the perfect way to see the world. I don't read science fiction or fantasy; there is enough in the real world to keep my interest for a long time.

Read the rest of this article on: 
Laurie's Non-paranormal Thoughts and Reviews:

3 comments:

  1. So true, it is a fabulous way to get to know a place by reading locational fiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to label it = locational fiction!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ellis, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. You have an amazing blog. Congratulations. I was wondering if you'd ever like to write a guest post for Your Writing Coach? I have guidelines posted on my blog and I'd be interested in what you would come up with. Think about it. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete